Works under the supervision of the Manager of the laboratory. The laboratory will be divided into four divisions to include Customer Service (Phlebotomy, Point of Care Testing, Outreach), Core Lab, Immunology/Micro/Blood Bank, and Anatomic Pathology/Cytology. The resource tech will be responsible for insuring the section is operating in compliance with all accrediting agencies’ standards. Their responsibilities will be approximately 80% work performance and 20% management of operations and processes. Responsibilities include maintaining accurate and compliant policies and procedures, quality control review and process management, instrument maintenance and problem solving. The resource tech acts as a resource for patient caregivers, laboratory management, the medical director and the laboratory staff and serves as Technical Supervisor in the absence of management.
1. Performs clinical testing in the laboratory area according to SOP for maintenance, quality control and specimen handling and processing. Provides technical assistance to others as needed. (40% of time)
2. Organizes tasks, coordinates workflow pattern and the technical functions of the section and serves as a facilitator to staff in problem resolution. (10% of time)
3. Facilitates maximum efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of quality laboratory testing through daily active review of test results and implementation of appropriate quality control and preventive maintenance procedures and performance improvement monitors. Includes observation of other staff to determine competency in performance of specific tasks. (10% of time)
4. Ensures laboratory compliance with all regulatory standards, NHRMC and departmental rules and regulations as they relate to individual job tasks. (7% of time)
5. Evaluates and solves problems related to the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical stages of laboratory testing. Reviews performance improvement issues on a routine basis in order to resolve issues, maintain quality and document performance of individuals of the laboratory. (10% of time)
6. Assists with implementation and maintenance of employee and student training programs that focus on theory and techniques required in the laboratory. (5%)
7. Remains up to date on government regulations and compliance policies and procedures. Works with management to develop procedures and monitoring activities to insure appropriate systems are in place. (2% of time)
8. Participates in short-range planning, professional development of staff, implements strategic initiatives authorized by Manager, performs other duties as directed by the Manager. (5% of time)
9. Assists in maintaining appropriate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. (2% of time)
10. Stays current on technological advances and scientific information in specific area of responsibility through participation in professional organizations and/or continuing education and through review of scientific journals. Serves as a technical consultant to nurses, physicians, and staff. (3% of time)
11. Assists with reviewing, updating, and writing laboratory procedures; evaluates, documents and implements new procedural methods and instrumentation for the lab. (5% of the time)
12. Serves as Technical Supervisor in the absence of management.
13. Ensures that appropriate guest relation techniques are used with the public, patients, and hospital employees. (1% of time)
14. Provides information to other staff as needed. Must be familiar with, use and be able to train Laboratory and non-Laboratory staff in use of on-line manuals and use of the LIS. Provide appropriate orientation for newly hired staff.
* Medical Technologist
* Bachelor of Science
Experience: 3 years in area of responsibility as a Medical Technologist. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.