Histology Technician - Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
2131 South 17Th Street
Job ID: 11265
Date Posted: Sep 7, 2023
NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR EVE - Most of shift btwn 3P-11P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
The histotechnician works under the supervision of the manager of Anatomic and Molecular Pathology and coordinator. The histotechnician performs a variety of complex techniques to preserve and prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologist. The histotechnician performs specialized ancillary diagnostic tests for interpretation by the pathologist.
1. Collect tissue specimens from surgical and diagnostic services and/or receives tissue specimens from outside source for processing in the department.
2. Perform basic and advanced Histology procedures of processing, embedding, cutting, mounting and staining of tissue specimens for evaluation and diagnosis by pathologists.
3. Perform basic and advanced special staining procedures including special histochemistry and immunochemistry. Prepare solutions and reagents as necessary.
4. Operate, use, care, maintain and troubleshoot specialized histology equipment and instrumentation.
5. Perform clerical functions such as accessioning specimens and issuing charge codes; utilizes laboratory information system for recording and retrieving patient information.
6. Research, develop and adopt new procedures for routine use.
7. Comply with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
8. Assist in writing, reviewing and revising of the histology procedure manual.
9. Perform cryosectioning techniques on tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by the pathologist.
10. Prepare slides from quick frozen tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by a pathologist.
11. Performs cytopreparation of routine cytologic specimens and fine needle aspirations.
12. Provide technical assistance and oversight of duties to technical assistants.
13. Demonstrate interpersonal skills while performing assigned duties.
* Histology Tech- HT/ASCP certification or eligibility required. Must become certified within 12 months of hire.
* Associate Degree
Experience: 1-2 year experience is preferred. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!