NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Business Center A
Department: Health Information Management
Full Time Equivalent: full-time
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 10:00am-6:30pm
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the general direction of the HIM Manager .Assists clinicians to perform corrections and amendments to clinical data within the patient’s electronic medical record in accordance with Federal, State, and NHRMC Policies/Procedures. Maintains a full understanding of NHRMC Connect functionality as it relates to performing record corrections in addition to a full understanding of the compliance and data integrity principles.
- Leads clinical, ancillary, and financial staff in chart correction requests with end users utilizing guidelines and tools such as the Epic User Web, Chart Correction Guide, and NHRMC Epic IT resources.
- Provides assistance to clinical end users in person, by citing their computers, and by traveling to their locations with the chart correction laptop, as needed.
- Upon completion of a ‘patient overlay’, analyzes the content of the documentation on all records involved in the overlay to assure documentation, including clinical data, transcription, demographic data, etc. are correct.
- Receives requests for review of documentation, creates Chart Correction cases, and assists providers to correct.(Requests can come from Coding, Transcription, Clinical Outcomes, and others.)
- Responsible to monitor Chart Correction Changepoint tickets and prioritize, daily.
- Analyze tickets to ascertain the best way to proceed toward the correction.
- Interacts and communicates in conjunction with other departments to coordinate the correction process to assure the integrity of documentation in compliance with regulations.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Epic/Connect IT analysts to determine the best resolution to chart corrections.
- Utilizes Epic User Web material for possible solutions to chart corrections.
- Follows up on previous chart correction requests to assure completed in a timely manner.
- Processes patient amendments in a timely manner to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Adheres to department policies and procedures to accomplish specific assigned tasks. Completes all pertinent paperwork as applicable to the specific processes of Health Information Management and assigned duties.
- Meets assigned productivity standards according to department policies. Staff is productive in meeting assigned tasks and job duties. Submits complete and accurate productivity reports.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to use computer software as job duties dictate to include but not limited to Epic, Document Management System, ID Service Management, Excel, etc.
- Communicates with staff using In-Basket, Hospital Email, and telephone.
- Promotes collaboration and teamwork within the EMPI/Integrity team. Acknowledges and adapts to changing workflow functions and priorities.
- Supports team efficiency and effectiveness to enhance quality and quantity of work output. Provides work output that is correct and minimal follow up guidance is necessary.
- Assists with basic care and maintenance of the workstation equipment.
- Promotes public relations through prompt and courteous service.
- Fosters respect for patient privacy by maintaining confidentiality in all phases of work.
Effectively demonstrates the mission, vision, and values of the medical center on a daily basis.
Education: Associate degree in Health Information Technology or Health Care Related Field, Required. Must possess basic clerical training, which includes computer skills, basic filing skills (including terminal digit filing), and fundamental knowledge of office protocol. Basic knowledge of medical record content and sequence. Knowledge of medical terminology required.
Licensure / Certifications: RHIT/RHIA preferred
Experience: 3-4 years’ experience in medical records or related field, required. Advanced problem solving, research, and analytical skills. Detailed knowledge of medical record content and chart organization. Detailed knowledge of documentation and privacy regulatory standards. Knowledge of hospital computer systems and EMRs. Strong medical terminology skills. Strong customer service and communication skills. Demonstrated proficiency with Office products, Word, and Excel.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!