NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Orthopedic Hospital
Department: Mobile Integrated Health
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - 8am to 5pm
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Under the general direction of the Business Manager, this specialist is responsible for accurately processing, coding, and data entry for all Emergency Services ambulance transports, treat and release, and refusals. Performs medical record review of each patient record for reasonableness and necessity of ambulance service as well as for demographic information, mileage, etc. Ensures presence and completeness of necessary forms. Works with NHRMC staff and outside customers to obtain any necessary clarification or documentation. This person requires little supervision and performs all work independently, with a high degree of autonomy. All work is carried out in accordance with the department’s approved policies and procedures. This position is an advanced level technical position within Emergency Services.
1. Responsible for maintaining knowledge of all current federal and state rules, regulations and guidelines related to ambulance billing. 2. Ensures that all VitaLink, AirLink and PCTS charts are accounted for by cross-checking list of patients in EMS Charts with list generated by the CAD. Ensures EMS charts are accounted for by making sure all charts from EMS charts are coded and keyed. 3. Insures that all required documentation for billing purposes is present before billing ambulance service. 4. Ensures all forms, including the PCS, ABN and AOB are obtained and complete, as needed. 5. Codes and post charges for all transports, treatment and release, and refusals in accordance with provisions of all governmental and private Third Party rules and regulations. 6. Works with HIM to assign medical record numbers and create patient accounts for refusal patients. 7. Abstracts patient information from records and enters appropriate data elements into the computerized abstracting systems (Series).The minimum coding requirement is to have all ambulance transports posted within 3 business days. The desired is to have 90% of all postings completed within 1 business day from the date of service. If the transport cannot be coded and posted within 3 business days of service, PFS must be notified so that the bill is temporarily held. 8. Ensures all codes and charges are processed accurately. Responsible for maintaining departmental compliance audit scores at passing level. 9. Performs charge reconciliation daily. 10. Collaborates with direct patient care professionals regarding documentation that supports need for ambulance service, etc. according to CMS and departmental guidelines. 11. Collaborates with Regional Communications, Case Management, Compliance and other applicable areas as needed. 12. Attends monthly EMS, PCTS, VitaLink/AirLink staff meetings to educate crew on documentation issues, changes in CMS regulations and to field any questions from the staff. Gives in-services as needed or as requested by manager/staff. 13. Fosters respect for patient privacy by maintaining strict confidentiality in all phases of work.
* High School Diploma
Experience: One year ambulance coding as well as experience in EMS electronic charting, IBAX (Series) Windows 2000, Word and Excel preferred. In-depth knowledge of EMS patient care report content and appropriate sequence of actions required. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence. Performs other duties as assigned. Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!