NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Lab - Core Lab
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
Provide direct and indirect supervision for the 38 FTEs in the Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Urinalysis, Body Fluids, Specimen Receipt/Processing and Referral Lab sections. Also provides management support for the activities of other laboratory personnel by providing on-site coverage from 06:00 a.m. until 08:00 p.m. on a rotational basis with the other 4 managers. Also participates with the other managers on rotating “Call” on a 7-day basis.
Works under the supervision of the Director of Clinical Diagnostic Services. Responsible for sharing the management of the daily operation of the Laboratory. Will share the duties between four (4) managers for the daily operation of the Laboratory. Each manager must work together to provide on site coverage, efficient, cost-effective quality patient service in a safe environment through empowered, qualified coordinators and self-directed teams. Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
1. Reviews daily, bi-weekly and monthly Laboratory workload totals, statistical reports and Information Services-generated reports to detect errors or trends.
2. Assesses and recommends changes relative to departmental productivity.
3. Coordinates the submission of data and any corrective actions to accrediting agencies. Meets with involved departments and laboratory staff to monitor compliance and accrediting agencies inspection processes. Remains knowledgeable of government regulations concerning Clinical laboratories to include CLIA, OSHA, CAP and JCAHO.
4. Selects, interviews and hires qualified applicants.
5. Makes recommendations regarding intra-laboratory personnel changes.
6. Prepares annual budget and monitors process of the department and other special projects as assigned.
7. Oversees supply and equipment inventories; assimilates and reviews monthly budget reports providing valid justifications for any variances, and initiating corrective actions when indicated.
8. Evaluates and recommends capital equipment for the Core Laboratory.
9. Performs performance reviews, participates in recognition of performance, counseling, and disciplinary proceedings beyond routine needs, maintains an atmosphere of confidentiality, develops and empowers staff through delegation, and develops the climate for Service Excellence
10. Represents the Medical Center and Laboratory in contacts with other health care institutions, professional groups, regulatory agencies, educational institutions vendors, clients and guests
11. Reviews professional journals to maintain current knowledge base and be aware of current trends and/or issues pertinent to the Laboratory and health care.
12. Monitor the Medical Center’s work climate survey results and submit quarterly progress reports.
* Medical Technologist
* Bachelor of Science
1. Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Masters preferred
2. Licensure / Certifications: Certification by ASCP or NCA. MT required.
3. Experience: Minimum five (5) years of experience as a degreed Medical Technologist with a minimum of three (3) years experience with supervisory responsibilities, preferably management
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!