NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job - hybrid option available, but must be in the area to handle on-call emergencies
Location: NHRMC Business Center A
Department: Systems Infrastructure
Full Time Equivalent: full-time
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Typically Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm (some on-call, weekend work required)
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Network Engineer II provides technical leadership for specific Network Infrastructure systems including: wireless, local and wide area networks for data, voice and video to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of systems and applications that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network software and equipment. The Network Engineer II will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. The Network Engineer II provides Tier 3 and 4 level support within the organization.
1. Technical Team leader for the Network Infrastructure technical team responsible for the planning, forecasting, implementation, and identification of resource requirements for network systems with basic to moderate complexity. In addition to support the wireless, voice, video, intrusion prevention, firewalls, web filtering, local area, and wide area networks.
2. Work with the Solution Architect to ensure specific implementation goals and requirements are met related to network infrastructure both on premise and cloud based and those systems are aligned with organizational goals and objectives following best practices.
3. Maintain, support and install network infrastructure hardware and appliances including, but not limited to:
a. Cisco Routers and Switches - Wireless Controllers and access points - DNS/DHCP equipment - Cisco and Palo Alto Firewalls - Routing protocols - Management & troubleshooting tools - Remote Access - Network monitoring and network trouble isolation and resolution.
4. Provide technical mentorship to other technical teams.
5. Provides Tier 3 and 4 level support by responding to escalated Help Desk requests from end-users; defining priorities, answering questions and resolving problems. This support includes participating in the IS on-call rotation.
6. Perform subject matter expert duties in working group settings collaborating with peers from other work centers.
7. Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in Network Infrastructure technology, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
8. Works with Solutions Architects and Network Infrastructure Technical Teams to engineer systems to accommodate the growth and integrity of existing network systems using strong communication while implementing best security practices.
9. Work on one or more projects as a project team member, occasionally as a project team lead effectively communicating system upgrades and downtimes while escalating issues within the organization as needed.
10. Troubleshoots problems with Network Infrastructure technologies and applications.
11. Maintains current and orderly reference library, including working with Network Infrastructure technical teams to maintain up-to-date documentation and comprehensive inventory of all supported systems.
12. Helps define and maintain standards, procedures and policies relating to Network Infrastructure technologies for data, voice and video networks.
13. Works with technical support vendors to resolve systems issues and problems. Works closely with the Technical Teams and IS Manager to document levels of maintenance to include vendor contact, support contracts and or spare parts and or redundant system information and maintains the information monthly/quarterly and annually.
14. Communicates effectively to provide optimal support of the organization’s Information Technology needs in a manner that promotes a professional climate.
15. Helps the Information Services Manager prepare annual budgets.
16. Participates on A3 committees as subject matter expert or advisor.
17. Submits and reviews all Change Control Requests submitted by Network Services
(Current employees who were hired or transitioned into this position before Mar 1, 2019 are grandfathered using the educational requirement in place at the time they were hired or transitioned into the core job title(s) Network Engineer II)
Network Infrastructure – Network Engineer II: Expert level competency in the direct “hands-on” administration of Cisco Firewalls and Palo Alto NGFW. Extensive knowledge of network security technologies (VPN, Certificates, ACLs, 802.1x). Subject matter expert skill set of networking, voice, video, security and wireless technologies and services. Specific experience in large campus networks, supporting, designing and implementing IP solutions.
Licensure/Certifications: CCNA preferred, CCNP preferred
Reports to: Network Infrastructure Manager
Education: Bachelor degree required
Experience: 5 years supporting and implementing LAN/WAN wireless and Optical Technologies
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence. Performs other duties as assigned. Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!