NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
This position has access to and knowledge of extremely sensitive, private and confidential materials. Ability to maintain the highest standard is required with zero tolerance.
All the primary duties within this document will be performed according to established policies, procedures and guidelines within the department and the Medical Center.
The Transfer Flow Physician Coordinator is responsible for improving flow within the hospital, within market and ensuring appropriate care delivered for transfer cases. This team member will be imbedded with Central Bed Management (CBM) team, serving as the primary liaison for CBM team. Primary responsibilities include support of daily operations, as well as ownership of program establishment and process improvement initiatives.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Daily Operations:
- Take Referral facility Transfer phone calls (for Hospitalist Team) 7am-5pm and place patient appropriately
- Coordinate with community facilities where needed (Cape Fear, NH Brunswick Medical Center, Dosher, Pender, Scotts Hill)
- Provide support and guidance to CBM team for non Hospitalist based phone calls and help contact/coordinate with specialist as needed
- Facilitate Market placement to utilize available beds and resources (Could place at Tertiary or community facility)
- Receive check out from HBM overnight triage at 7am.
- Review Pending list from overnight and existing pending list with CBM team and help establish priority and placement. Troubleshoot issues occurring overnight. This may include calling back facility for more information. This will include review of non-Hospitalist holding list to facilitate transfers.
- Take all outside calls for Hospitalist team during daytime hours.
- Patient Flow coordination (tele, units, etc)
- Ability to coordinate with CBM team in other markets to utilize other resources that meet patients need
- Explore appropriate alternatives to admission as available (Home health, early transition to home rounds.)
- Engage with specialist and PCP on appropriate cases
- Daily coordination with staffing office to determine how this may affect flow and help establish solutions
- Emergency liaison for state transfer issues/disasters situations (aka COVID)
- Check out/pass on nighttime game plan to NHICS MD Mid-swing at end of shift as needed
2. Process Improvement/Establish Program:
- Resume primary care provider outreach for direct admit process
- Develop consistent language for specialist to use to enable improved placement and triage by CBM team.
- Maintain market level relationship with health care institutions to better understand daily placement needs. This will require intermittent check in with these institutions to understand geographic stressors.
- Coordinate with other health care systems on specific cases as needed.
- Dimensions intake improvement (facilitate pertinent history included in record, working list upgrades for service lines)
- Intake language improvement
- Establish quality control and dashboards
- Develop and measure time points (intake call, time to bed, # referred elsewhere and reason)
- Develop/incorporate system to predict stressors then try to prevent site specific capacity issues
- Try to develop better integration with sister markets. When we receive phone calls for outside institutions but do not have local capacity, we should also be able to take advantage of capacity within any general Novant institution if it serves our patient’s needs.
- Identify other trends and barriers that inhibit through put including common themes surrounding transfer requests from outside institutions
ESSENTIAL JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Education: Graduate of accredited Medical School with MD/DO.
2. Licensure/Certifications: License to practice medicine in the State of North Carolina. Must also be an active or administrative member of the Medical Staff in good standing.
3. Experience: At least three years of experience in the active practice of medicine beyond residency. Must have local hospitalist rounding and admitting experience.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!