The Retail & Specialty Pharmacy Medication Assistance Specialist (MAS) is responsible for educating and enrolling patients in the NHRMC Specialty Pharmacy program throughout the NHRMC network, under the direction of the Retail & Specialty Pharmacy Manager and in collaboration with other departments. This multitasking, self-motivated role will include qualifying patients for enrollment into the Patient Management Program, securing appropriate documentation for financial assistance, submitting and tracking assistance applications, submitting and tracking prior authorizations, and ensuring proper pharmacy reimbursement for medications. Critical to this position is the ability to work independently to establish and maintain, strong and credible working relationships with patients, medical staff, and pharmacy personnel. The Medication Assistance Specialist will manage compliance and secure signatures on various forms to maintain the integrity of the medication assistance program and ensure its success. This position requires professional presentation skills, a working knowledge of pharmaceuticals, and the ability to vocalize to patients the value to enrolling in the NHRMC Patient Management Program. Applicants should be results-oriented with a positive outlook, reliable, tolerant, determined, and an empathetic communicator with a clear focus on outstanding patient care and service. The Pharmacy Medication Assistance Specialist acts as a resource for pharmacy technical and professional staff. Other responsibilities include completing financial assessments, preparing medication assistance applications, retrieving medical diagnoses and treatment records and working directly with patients and healthcare professionals. Work is accomplished in accordance with the policies and regulations of local, state and federal authorities as well as accepted standards of practice. Maintains the ability to perform the other job duties associated with the position as assigned.
1. Responsible for day-to-day tracking and monitoring of specialty pharmacy medication requests, including financial assistance, prior authorizations, REMS programs and other applicable drug specific requirements.. Coordinate communications between interested parties, including, but not limited to patients, providers, insurance, and pharmacy personnel. 2. Acts as liaison between Pharmacy and other internal and external customers to include hospital physicians, dispensing pharmacy staff and clinical pharmacists (both onsite and remote). Coordinates operational workflow and interfaces between Pharmacy and clinic services using hospital systems to assure that specialty pharmacy assistance efforts are maximized throughout the network. 3. Works closely with pharmacy management team to identify and strategize future needs and efficient workflow processes, which may include assessment of other departmental needs for patient assistance efforts. Assists with implementing strategic initiatives, participates in short-range planning, and performs other professional duties as assigned by manager. Willing to help develop new processes to ensure smooth operations and patient care. 4. Willing and able to educate prospective pharmacy patients on the benefits of the Patient Management Program, which serves patient and improves their overall healthcare, and successfully enroll patients into the PMP. 5. Passionate and driven to grow the Specialty pharmacy patient population. 6. Ensures that patients remain on track with medication regimens through outbound adherence assessments, identifying gaps in care. 7. Support Specialty accreditation through proper documentation of required elements in various patient software. 8. Attends seminars, webinars and training sessions necessary to maintain the appropriate level of professional competence. 9. Demonstrates expertise in the operation of Microsoft Windows desktops and Office applications. 10. Capable of utilizing database management for tracking, analyzing and reporting data related to the performance and outcomes of the specialty pharmacy program. 11. Maintains contact and communicates with other departments in the organization to ensure proper workflow. 12. Organizes and performs work effectively and efficiently. 13. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relations in dealing with all members of the healthcare team. 14. Fosters respect for patient privacy by maintaining confidentiality in all phases of work. 15. Demonstrates a commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the department and the organization on a daily basis. 16. Performs other duties as assigned.
* Cert Pharmacy Tech-National
* Registered Pharmacy Tech-NC
* Associate Degree
Education equivalent experience:
* Bachelor’s degree or associates degree from a pharmacy technician program preferred.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree or associates degree from a pharmacy technician program preferred.
2. Licensure / Certifications: North Carolina state pharmacy technician license in good standing as well as certified by Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) or National Healthcareer Association(NHA)
Experience: Three years working in a pharmacy or healthcare related field to include knowledge of pharmacy operations and working knowledge of pharmaceuticals. Preference to candidate with knowledge of QS1, Therigy, EPIC, McKesson Connect or other pharmacy-based computer systems. Preference to candidate with experience with Specialty pharmacy financial assistance programs.