NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Emergency Department
Full Time Equivalent: fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: MIXED HOURS - Varied Shifts
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Manager. Uses standard work to collect and document pre-hospital patient information and notify various departments of patient pending arrival and condition.
1. Communicates with EMS personnel from around the region, Emergency Department staff, physicians, outlying medical facilities/physician offices, and 911 Centers to collect and document pertinent patient transport information.
2. Answers emergency and non-emergency transport radio and telephone calls, and uses standard work to document and promptly share information with appropriate staff.
3. Operates transmitting and receiving two-way radio console, weather radar system, computer database, mapping system and related equipment as designated.
4. Ensures effective communications are maintained between pre-hospital and hospital teams. Connects pre-hospital providers to appropriate hospital staff within hospital system within prescribed timelines, documents findings appropriately.
5. Communicates with the ED charge nurse to maintain current knowledge of bed availability and coordinates appropriate bed assignment for patients entering department as necessary.
6. Participates in day-to-day departmental activities, Lean performance improvement processes, staff meetings/huddles, in-services and committees.
7. Conducts self in professional manner, using AIDET in radio and telephone communication techniques.
8. Protects the privacy of patient information in accordance with Hospital Policy and HIPAA guidelines.
9. Activates system codes and alerts for time sensitive patients and disaster scenarios as per standard work and policy.
10. Maintains an awareness of all communication systems and notifies Manager of any malfunctioning equipment.
* High School Diploma
Experience: EMS dispatch experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology required. Medical transport terminology and experience preferred. Working knowledge of alpha/numerical paging systems, web based programs, electronic medical records, and advanced phone systems. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.