NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Regional Transfer Center
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 10HR DAY Shifts -4 Days a Week
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Works under the supervision of the Manager - Regional Transfer Center and collaborates closely with the Operations Manager to oversee the daily operations of the BLS-ILS service and assure that departmental policies, procedures, and standards of care are met. Responds appropriately using discretion and independent judgment to a wide variety of requests to determine appropriate level of care, transport mode, type of unit, and division or agency to contact to facilitate the transport.
1. Facilitates daily operations of the BLS-ILS service. Promotes team effort and unity when working with other members of NHRMC and external organizations.
2. Proactively reviews daily BLS-ILS team staffing and collaborates with the Shift Supervisor and/or Operations Manager to assure proper medical coverage to meet anticipated volume demands.
3. Communicates with Admissions Office and Patient Placement to maintain current knowledge of bed availability and coordinates appropriate bed assignment for patients requiring admission and transportation for patients requiring ambulance transport for discharge.
4. Collaborates with Emergency Transport Billing Service and Operations Manager to proactively assure all documentation required for billing and compliance is collected.
5. Conducts a pre-authorization patient assessment for medical necessity prior to scheduling recurrent non-emergent transportation. Updates all necessary compliance and billing paperwork as necessary for recurrent non-emergent transports.
6. Ensures effective communications are maintained between all aircraft and ground crew members. Completes flight following or aircraft and vehicle position reports within prescribed timelines, documents findings appropriately so as to assure Aeromedical Providers FAA FAR 135 Certificate.
7. Answers emergency and non-emergency transport telephone lines and coordinate all requests for transport promptly and courteously.
8. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence
9. Operates transmitting and receiving two-way radio console, weather radar system, computer database, mapping system and related equipment in support of air and ground medical transport assets and ensures effective communications are maintained between all ground crew members. Maintains an awareness of all communication systems and notifies Manager of any malfunctioning equipment.
10. Participates in day-to-day departmental activities, performance improvement processes, staff meetings, in-services and committees.
11. Conducts self in professional manner, using appropriate radio and telephone communication techniques.
12. Protects the privacy of patient information in accordance with Hospital Policy and HIPPA guidelines.
13. Initiates and coordinates Post Accident Incident Plans and emergency plans as needed.
* Advanced Emergency Med Tech
* High School Diploma
1. Education: High School Diploma required. Two-year degree in related field preferred.
2. Licensure / Certifications: Current and valid (or eligibility for) EMT-Intermediate certification is required.
3. Experience: Minimum 3 years experience as an EMT is required. EMS dispatch experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology required. Aviation terminology preferred. Working knowledge of alpha/numerical paging systems, web based programs and advanced phone systems.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
keywords: EMT, Emergency Medical Technician, EMT-I, BLS, NHRMC, New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Novant Health