NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: NHRMC Heart Center
Department: Heart & Vascular Institute Assoc
Full Time Equivalent: Fulltime
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8 Hr Days
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Schedules appointments, gives information to callers. Greets patients and other visitors in a polite manner. Responsible for performing a variety of clerical duties.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
Responsibility I: NHRMC Standards of Performance
• Ownership – responsible for all outcomes of efforts and actions
• Teamwork – demonstrates a willingness to assist co-workers and to accept additional assignments as requested to support the department efficiently by acting as a team player and working well with others
• Communication – acknowledge patients and co-workers, listen attentively while maintaining eye contact and speaking to them directly and respectfully
• Compassion – Be an advocate for patients, families and teammates. Show them you care and always follow up.
Responsibility II: Daily Preparation / Check-in
• Maintains reception area, to include waiting room
• Verifies insurance eligibility
• Prints all encounter forms for each day appointments
• Ensures that all patients are greeted in a timely manner
• Provide necessary forms on completion and signatures, reviews for accuracy and notifies the clinical staff when the patient is ready
• Monitors waiting rooms and communicates wait times to patients
• Collects co-pays and logs them appropriately at the time of check in
• Contact patients by telephone to communicate scheduling information within established time frames
o New patients reminder telephone calls are made within 24 hours of scheduled appt
o Patients who are “no-show” are called within 24 hours of their missed appt
o New patient referrals are contacted within 24 hours to schedule first appt
• Pulls charts for nurses to prepare for patients visits
• Appropriately documents all non essential personnel coming on site in the log book
Responsibility III: Check Out
• Ensures that patients have all information and questions answered about their health and treatments received, to include future appointments
• Ensures encounter forms are completed and tracked accordingly with office schedule
• Obtain any required prior authorizations for patient if being referred for outside services, ie. Radiology, surgery, laboratory, pharmaceuticals
• Completes all documentation for observation, planning and evaluation of care provided to patients
Responsibility IV: Clerical / Administrative
• Process medical records requests
• Open and process any mail and distribute accordingly as well as delivering packages marked “refrigerate” immediately to clinical personnel
• Maintains filing, charting, faxing and all other clerical functions as required
• Answers telephones in a polite manner and takes messages
• Prepares and processes correspondences
• Rolls phones according to schedule
• Identifies and orders supplies as needed
Responsibility V: General Practice Duties
• Must have physical exam and annual TB skin testing
• PHI – refrain from discussing Patient Health Information in public in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and policies
• Ability and flexibility to cover various medical offices when needed
• Responsible for learning and applying information on all insurance plans, correctly identifying and entering FSC in IDX system
• Assists in training other staff as needed and is willing to cross train
• Performs cash management protocols as assigned
• Adheres to company policy on continuing education programs, i.e. Annual HIPAA training
• Adheres to departmental dress codes as observed by director and wears picture identification badge, 100% of the time.
1. Education: HS diploma or equivalent required.
2. Licensure / Certifications: CPR preferred. CPC or CCS strongly preferred
3. Experience: At least 1 year previous medical office experience working within a patient registration, reception or billing role.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
#HeartAndVascular #Wilmington #NovantHealth