NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: Novant Health General Surgery - New Hanover
2221 S. 17th St., Wilmington, NC
Department: General Surgery
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.0
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Responsible for all daily registration, scheduling, charge entry, insurance eligibility, updating demographics/insurance information, collecting / posting co-pays. Additionally, serve as a medical assistant supporting all clinical duties up-to and including rooming, obtaining vitals, phlebotomy, injections and documenting all in the patient medical record. Scope of duties: Medical office/front desk 50% - Clinical support 50%.
Responsibility I: Daily Preparation / Check-in
• Maintains reception area, to include waiting room
• Verifies insurance eligibility
• Prints and or maintains appropriate documents to support patient encounters
• Ensures that all patients are greeted in a timely manner
• Provide necessary forms on completion and signatures, reviews for accuracy and notifies the clinical staff when the patient is ready
• Monitors waiting rooms and communicates wait times to patients
• Collects co-pays and logs them appropriately at the time of check in
• Contact patients by telephone to communicate scheduling information within established time frames
o Performs new patient reminder telephone calls within 24 hours of scheduled appt
o Contacts patients who “no-show” within 24 hours of their missed appt
o Contacts new patient referrals within 24 hours to schedule first appt
• Prepares the patient medical record for upcoming visits
• Appropriately documents all vendors, non-patients in the appropriate tracking mechanism
Responsibility II: Check In/Out • Ensures that patients have all information and questions answered about their health and treatments received, to include future appointments and receive an after visit summary [AVS]
• Ensures charge entry reconciliation occurs daily
• Obtain any required prior authorizations for patient if being referred for required services outside of the clinic i.e. diagnostics to include imaging, laboratory, surgery and specialty home health and pharmaceuticals
• Completes all documentation for observation, planning and evaluation of care provided to patients
• Performs cash management protocols as assigned
• Responsible for learning and applying information on all insurance plans, correctly identifying and entering into the electronic medical record
• Must have the ability to identify and resolve collection issues by collaborating and working with CHS and CHA teams
Responsibility III: Clinical
Recording patient interview, history and chief complaint
Ability to obtain an accurate set of vitals
Ability to perform routine EKG and document accordingly
Strong working knowledge of current medications, dosing information and prescribing requirements
Prepares and administers medications, vaccines and treatments with knowledge of purpose and adverse effects of nursing care provided
Ability to comfortably administer respiratory therapies; i.e. nebulizer treatments
Change dressings, applying bandages, removing sutures and other first aid procedures.
Phlebotomy and collection of specimens
Providing patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of diseased, home treatments and special diets
Assisting the physician with exams and minor office surgery
Maintaining supplies, equipment, stocking and sterilizing instruments
Recording accurate refrigerator temperature logs daily, as well as spore testing on Autoclave’s
Disposing of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards
Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times
Maintains compliancy within regulatory agencies such as HIPAA, OSHA and CLIA and the accrediting body if applicable
Responsibility IV: General Practice Duties
Must have physical exam and annual TB skin testing
PHI – refrain from discussing Patient Health Information in public in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and policies
Ability and flexibility to cover various medical offices when needed
Assists in training other staff as needed and is willing to cross train
Performs cash management protocols as assigned
Adheres to company policy on continuing education programs, i.e. Annual HIPAA training
Adheres to departmental dress codes as observed by onsite leadership and wears picture identification badge in a visible location 100% of the time.
* High School Diploma
Experience: Prefer least 1-year previous primary care, urgent care or internal medicine, medical office experience working within a patient registration, reception or billing role as well as experience in working in a medical assistant capacity. Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award-winning team!