NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: 8HR DAY - Most of shift btwn 7A-3P
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
What You'll Do
Provide face-to-face interpreting as needed for health care encounters for all New Hanover Regional Medical Center hospital sites and programs. Attend community events as needed as a liaison for New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Assist limited English proficiency (LEP) patients to access a full range of available services by helping them navigate the healthcare system. Accurately document all interactions into the electronic medical records system. Act as a cultural broker by informing providers of relevant cultural issues to assist providers in delivering culturally competent patient care. Maintain and improve expertise through appropriate continuing education. Must be willing and able to travel to various New Hanover Regional Medical Center hospital affiliate sites and/or patient locations as required throughout the workday.
1. Provide interpretation services for Spanish-speaking patients/families in a variety of settings as assigned: inpatient services and outpatient settings, Labor & Delivery, Emergency Department, Rehabilitation Hospital, Behavior Health Hospital, Radiology, Orthopedic Hospital, etc.
2. Interpret information pertaining to the patient’s hospitalization or visit, including but not limited to: advanced directives, consents for treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, discharge instructions, follow up appointments, and healthcare education.
3. Accurately and completely transmit the content and spirit of the original message into the other language, without omitting, modifying, condensing or adding, and assist caregivers in understanding cultural differences, in accordance to the National Standards of Practice for Interpreters in Healthcare.
4. Maintain accurate and timely documentation within program database.
5. Assist with making recommendations for Spanish language printed or audio/visual materials for patient education.
6. Complete a variety of department specific tasks to assist with optimal department safety and functioning.
7. Abide by New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s Standards of Performance (ownership, teamwork communication, compassion), Mission and Values, HIPAA Privacy Policies and pertinent confidentiality laws.
8. Organize and performs work effectively and efficiently.
9. Maintain and adjust schedule to enhance team performance.
10. Demonstrate positive interpersonal relations in dealing with all members of the team
11. When not interpreting, assist in performing office support duties, which may include retrieving voicemail messages from assigned Spanish lines in various departments and notifying said departments of their messages.
12. Act as the dispatcher for interpreter requests which includes receiving requests for interpreters and trusting team members to fill such requests.
* Notary Public
* Cert Medical Interpreter
* Cert Comm Healthcare Interpret
* General Education Degree
1. Education: High school diploma (GED) or its equivalent from another country required, undergraduate degree preferred. Successful completion of at least 40 hours of formal medical interpreting training required upon hire.
2. Certificates/Licensure /Certifications: Certificate of Completion of a formal medical interpreter educational program of at least 40 hours’ duration required. Nationally recognized certification required within 2 years of hire. Acceptable nationally recognized certifications: Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI) or National Board for Certified Medical Interpreters (NBCMI). North Carolina Public Notary Certification required within 90 days of hire for hospital-based Interpreters only.
3. Experience: Must be completely fluent in grammatically correct Spanish and grammatically correct English, with understanding of vernacular Spanish. Able to write in both languages with correct grammar and spelling. Must have sound knowledge of medical terminology in both languages. Must have thorough knowledge of cultural and social differences. One (1) year of work experience as a Spanish medical interpreter in a health care setting is strongly preferred.
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!